Thursday, July 26, 2007

A STAR IS BORN (soundtrack recording)

I decided to start this blog to just write down my thoughts on the work of Barbra Streisand! And, so I shall start with my thoughts on the recording which I seem to play the most --- the soundtrack to the 1976 film, A STAR IS BORN. I was 9 when this record and film came out. And, I loved it so very much and I still do! At the time, all critics and all of the entertainment industry seemed to want this film, the soundtrack and Barbra to totally fail. Instead, it became her biggest hit. Filmed in a style which I suspect was inspired by Robert Altman -- A STAR IS BORN often feels quite personal. As if we are actually seeing Streisand's views of herself, her then love and 'The Industry' ---- and it is unapologetically romantic. It is also very dated. It is as if you are transported to 1976 as soon as you see the Warner Bros logo -- which is the charm of the movie itself.

It is the Ultimate Barbra film because it signals all the topics and styles that would come to personify and classify her from there on out. The flawless cinematography, the back lighting, lush, demanding, political, sad, sexy, angry passion, no room for compromise, those legs!, those shoulders!, that profile! --- all like creamy buttah!

From this moment on, Barbra is in charge and I, for one, love it! ...but, my post is meant to be about the LP, A STAR IS BORN. The music for the film was, for the most part, recorded live. A great choice on Streisand's part -- and she and Phil Ramone did an outstanding job with the production. The LP almost works like a souvenir of the movie and the "journey" of the film's story.

The songs flow in the order as presented in the film. It is my opinion that this was this recording signaled the beginning of the era which was The Streisand Voice's finest hour. From this LP thru to 1985 I don't think her voice ever sounded better. Which is saying a great deal because it always sounds fairly flawless.

The remastered CD is outstanding. My only annoyance is that I do wish they had also included the French version of Evergreen as I am almost certain that there is one floating around the Sony vaults somewhere!

I believe that this might have been the first film recorded and released in Dolby Sound --- and, at the time, Streisand sent a note along with each print of the film asking cinema's to play the film loud. And, I'm no expert on sound, but this LP and the remastered CD seem to play louder than any of her other work. Crank it up!

Of course the standout track is the theme for the film, "Evergreen" written by Streisand with lyrics by Paul Williams. This won Ms. Barbra the Oscar! And, it is a stunning piece of music and lush performance. It is my favorite song. I play it far too much on my iPod. ...and I think me and my mom had to purchase the LP three or for times because I just played it too damn much! You could almost see through the vinyl from so much playing!

"Queen Bee" is a fun and very 70's funky track. It is begging to be sampled for a Hip Hop rap song! Come on, Ms. Blige!

The Finale performance of "With One More Look At You" and "Watch Closely Now" manages to be sad, vulnerable and rousing all at once. One wishes that Streisand had a cut a studio recording of "With One More Look At You" ---- it is such a lovely bit of music and lyric.



"Lost Inside of You" serves more as a harmonizing vocal with Kristofferson than a duet, but is timeless and sexy. One wonders what it would have sounded like if she had recorded it with her co-writer, Leon Russell. (one also hopes she might get around to doing that gospel album with him before they get much older!!!)

"The Woman In The Moon" is a great bit of old showbiz glitz that works totally on Streisand's powerful and passionate vocal. The lyrics are very 70's women's lib -- but they hold true thanks to the conviction with which they are sung.

The only track which has never worked for me is Kristofferson's "Cripple Crow" --- which is just weak. I have always wondered why Kristofferson didn't write his own songs for the film.

Aside from the two "hit singles": Evergreen and Lost Inside of You --- I suspect this is a fan's album. I'm a big fan. So, it would make sense it is one of my all time fave Streisand works.

And, no matter your opinion --- one can't deny the impact the recording (and film) had on the very industry which seemed to so want it to fail. Female artists soon started taking a stronger role in the work they pursued --- and with far less resistance. And, talk about iconic. The LP cover/movie poster alone are somehow branded into the 70's brain of image. ...And, let's not forget that Elvis was the first choice for the male lead. What that might have been like I wonder?!?!? Interesting, but not as sexy I should think. And, those photos really amp'd up Fancesco Scavullo's power as a photographer and inspired a lengthy parody on The Carol Burnett Show! ...and how many proms were thrown from 1977 to 1984 without the theme song?!?!? ...and, only Farrah's "do" out-dazzl'd the Streisand 70's perm look!

"...ageless and evergreen."



Tracks:
1. Watch Closely Now - Kristofferson
2. Queen Bee - Streisand
3. Everything - Streisand
4. Lost Inside of You - Streisand/Kristofferson
5. Hellacious Acres - Kristofferson
6. Evergreen - Streisand
7. The Woman In The Moon - Streisand
8. I Believe In Love - Streisand
9. Crippled Crow - Kristofferson
10. Finale: With One More Look at You/Watch Closely Now
11. Reprise: Evergreen - Streisand/Kristofferson
*CD Bonus Track: Spanish Version of Evergreen

...oh, barbra.

No comments: